WG2 MPEG Technical Requirements collects and organizes use cases and requirements from different application areas. It also ensures that such requirements are taken into account in all phases of MPEG standardization work. WG2 issues also Calls for Evidence and Calls for Proposals for new technologies to address new use cases and/or classes of applications. It performs also market needs analysis for new emerging technologies and develops profiling solutions to address specific use cases or classes of applications. WG2 is also responsible of the overall MPEG Roadmap.
Terms of reference: Requirements studies for SC 29 MPEG standards with the purpose of ensuring that requirements coming from prospective application areas of generic coding algorithms developed by SC 29 WG2 to WG8 are taken into consideration in all phases of work:
- Collect and organise requirements, generic as well as specifically coming from different application fields;
- Identify the need for and state of technologies within the scope of but not currently being considered by the relevant SC 29 WGs;
- Issue Calls for Evidence and Calls for Proposals to address relevant classes of applications for SC 29 standards jointly with the relevant WGs;
- Perform market needs analysis;
- Submit technical studies and technical assessments of proposals to SC 29 for action;
- Produce a requirement definition document prior to specification phase;
- Constantly update requirements definitions following needs arising from application areas;
- Monitor adherence of specifications under development to the corresponding requirements;
- Develop profiling solutions to address relevant classes of applications for SC 29 standards jointly with the relevant WGs;
- Liaise with other standard bodies in the field of requirements.